Accented characters

Hello,

Last year I wrote a GTK based GUI to a database, linux 2.2.15 and GTK
1.2.8. I tried to port the application to a new system, linux 2.4.2 xith
GTK 1.2.9 and all the labels that contain accented letters don't show,
all of it disappears, not just the guilty characters! Since the
application is in Spanish, this is of ctritical importance. Labels with
no special characters show up just fine.

The guilty party is:    gtk_label_new ("text that won't show, jéjé!!");
but
get-window_set_title (GTK_WIDGET(window), "text will show, jéjé!!");

The file ./gtk+-1.2.9/NEWS states that one of the improvements is
"changes so that using fonts (as well as fontsets) for non-iso-8859-1
locales will work". By the way Spanish enters in 8859-1 and doesn't work
anymore. What do I do?

Thanks.

Henry Gall