Consuming X resources?

Hello All,

I need some general guidance about Gtk and X interaction.

I have a relatively small application, using Gtk and GtkExtra.  It works
great, runs for a long time without crashing, and does not leak memory
even as windows are opened and closed, etc.

However, it causes the X server on which the data is displayed to
consume more and more memory, apparently without bound.

What type of Gtk or Gdk actions cause X resources to be allocated, which
must be released?

How do people debug this type of issue?  Is there some Gdk switch that
can show all X allocations?  ('allocations' may not be the right word
for X, but you know what I mean)

Thank you,

Eric Monsler