Re: gdk-pixbuf for gnomeicu (let me know if this is the wrong place)

Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:54:50 EDT, Glitch <brandon ovnet com>  said:

(I think you said you use Suse in a previous note - am basing the reply
on that...)

I installed gdk-pixbuf 0.9.0 as required by gnomeicu. I had to move the gdk-pixbuf-config script from /usr/local/bin to /sbin/ since the ./configure script for gnomeicu woudln't find it otherwise. But after

Probably evil.  And likely to break things.  Putting /usr/local/bin into
your $PATH would probably work better.  This sort of thing is how people
end up installing new releases and still getting the old config file.

ok

If you built gdk-pixbuf from source, I'd recommend that you re-build it
with --prefix=  matching where your distribution would install it (for
instance, RedHat works Much Better if you build with --prefix=/usr so
you don't get bit by /usr versus /usr/local issues).

i'll try that later to tidy things up.

running the ./configure script i get this output:

checking for gdk-pixbuf-config... (cached) /sbin/gdk-pixbuf-config
checking for GDK_PIXBUF - version >= 0.9.0... yes
Unknown library `gdk_pixbuf'
Unknown library `gdk_pixbuf'

Looks like somebody forgot to run ldconfig after installing a
shared library?

no, first thing i did after gdk-pixbuf compiled cleanly was to run ldconfig.

Or ldconfig *did* get run, but /etc/ld.so.conf
doesn't list the direcotry that the libraries got placed in (which

gdk-pixbuf libs are in /usr/local/lib/gdk-pixbuf/loaders.
/usr/local/lib is listed in ld.so.conf, the subdirectories should be found by ldconfig so i dont have to list every single one, right?

could be an issue - RH 7 doesn't put /usr/local/lib in ld.so.conf
by default, but if your -config script went into /usr/local/bin,
the libs probably went in /usr/local/lib).

they did but /usr/local/lib *is* in ld.so.conf

See above, regarding building with --prefix=

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused -DUSE_XSCREENSAVER -o gnomeicu applet.o autoaway.o autohide.o awaymsglist.o changeaway.o changeinfo.o changenick.o chat.o chatdlg.o dialog.o dirbrowser.o dragdrop.o events.o sendcontact.o sendmsg.o server.o showlist.o kanji_conv.o tcp.o userserver.o util.o visible.o webpresence.o gtkspell.o -lpanel_applet -rdynamic -L/opt/gnome/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm -rdynamic -lgnorba -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -lXext -lXss -lgdbm

I don't see any -I flags pointing at gdk-pixbuf.

Did you get any 'unable to find include file' messages while compiling

um, i dont think. I wasn't watching it while it compiled and it probably sat for a few minutes before i even noticed it had stopped with an error. I didn't look above for any other errors. While I watched it at teh beginning to compile files it seemed to be doing ok but then i started doing something else to pass the time.

the various .o files?  Quite probably you did - the gdk-pixbuf
includes are problably in /usr/local/include, not searched by gcc by
default.
yeah, they are in /usr/local/include/gdk-pixbuf. Is that not a good thing?

gtkfunc.o: In function `set_window_icon':
/usr/local/gnomeicu-0.96.1/src/gtkfunc.c:6231: undefined reference to `gnome_window_icon_set_from_file'

Odd.. you *do* have a -lgnomeui flag there....  Might want to check
what release of Gnome you have....

where can i get version info on that? Gnomeicu requires 0.20 based on the README file.

thanks