Re: drawing on the root window

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
 Hi,

 It seems this is fairly possible (the most difficult problem for me
personally would be getting pointer position - I didn't research though) -
yet, it's possible to draw on root window and receive expose events on root
window while using GDK and gtk. It's possible with a little hack to get a
GtkWindow representing root window - see the thread with subject
	GDK "root" GtkObject?
in gtk-list archives around "aug 18 2000".

> hi there,
>
> the program oneko has always fascinated me.   it uses xlib to draw a cat on
> the root window which runs all over the root window, following the mouse
> pointer.
>
> is it possible to write such a program using gtk?  in other words, using the
> gtk library, is it possible to draw directly onto the root window and have
> the drawing move around the entire screen?
>
> thanks!
> pete

 Best regards,
  -Vlad