Help with background colors please

Hi,

I am sorry if this is a really stupid newbie question, but can anyone
help with the folowing, which is driving me quietly crazy ?

I am running suse linux 6.3 and have recently been configuring the
current (1.8) Afterstep WM.  I have several applications which are
gtk based - Gimp and two file managers (Gentoo and Elemfm).  So
far as I know, I have not done anything to set any resource
configurations affecting gtk.

I had two existing users (A and B) plus root.

When A runs any of these apps he sees pale blue window
backgrounds with pink backgrounds for other text boxes.  B gets
all grey.  Root gets all white (which is what I want).  As an
experiment, I created a new user (C), he too gets white.  All non-
gtk apps get white.  The problem persists if I switch to other WMs.

Changing the relevant users .Xresources has no effect.

A, B and root all have gtkrc files in their Gimp-1.1 directories, but
these seem to be almost identical in content (A has a "tool tips"
setting that the others don't).  User C has no Gimp-1.1 directory.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of A and B's colors ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff