Difficult structure

My structure:

|                             |               |
|                             |               |
|                             |               |
|                             |     Buttons   |
|                             |               |
|                             |               |
|      Drag Destination       |               |
|                             |               |
|                             |---------------|
|                             |               |
|                             |               |
|                             |   Drag Source |

>From this layout, you can see that items (rectangles) can be dragged from
the source to the destination.  While being dragged, they can also go
through the button space.

To make the whole area "draggable", I think I have to make it a
GtkDrawingArea.. however, since the drawing area is not a container, how
do I add the buttons?

thanks,
meghal