More on resizing

I have one other question about resizing:

|                       |              |
|                       |              |
|                       |              |
|                       |              |
|       Image           |              |
|                       |              |
|                       |              |
|                       |              |
|-----------------------|--------------|

The whole screen is a drawing area where I can capture events.
The left side of the screen contains an image which must keep its
height:width proportions the same (therefore I cannot expand it to fill
that side of the screen)...

If the proportions of the Image MUST be kept the same, how would I go
about managing resizing?

Is there a way to get the size of the drawing area, and then manually
resize the image to fit the drawing area?

thanks,
meghal