Re: proposal: handle middle/right clicks on arrows of scrollbarsdifferently

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 01:48:24PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I have just committed a change that makes the scrollbar arrows work
> like those on a spinbutton:
>
>  button-2 - move by pages
>  button-3 - move to end
>
> I don't think the suggestion that button-2 should move to the other
> end is that intuitive (Some people might think that it should move in
> steps in the other direction, and it definitely should act the same as
> in the gtkspinbutton.)
>
> If moving in both directions using the arrows is that common, the
> right solution is probably to make the feature overt and use
> NeXT-style arrow positioning, not to make it a hidden feature.
> (especially since 2-button mice are pretty common)

	My $0.02.
	I think that so far this is the best choice.  The 1/2/3 setup
here is very intuitive, and the matching with the spinbutton (which I
didn't even know about) makes for good small-scale consistency.
	I do think that a shift-click could maybe reverse direction,
ala shift-TAB, but no unmodified button should go the wrong way.
	As far as NeXt-style arrow, please make it optional or
themeable, if at all.  I know many folks like them, but I could never
stand them.  When I want to scroll up, my mouse gravitates to the top of
the window.  Granted, I'm quickly falling in love with my IntelliMouse
Explorer, and I'm probably not the first to love the mousewheel.
	Xterm scrolling isn't such a big deal to me, maybe because I
started with CUA-style scrollbars.  I never, _ever_ use buttons 1 or 3
on an Xterm.  I always use button 2 and hand scroll it.  As long as
button 2 can move the slider, and Xterm person can always use that bit.
That said, I'm sure that an Xterm person or two might beg to differ :-)

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #356

	"Be there when people need you."