Re: proposal: handle middle/right clicks on arrows of scrollbarsdifferently

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, John Kodis wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 03:32:43PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > I think from GUI usability standpoint, it would be nice to extend
> > the handling of right/middle clicks on scrollbar's arrows
>
> I agree that the default scrollbar actions could be usefully
> extended.  Here are the two extensions that I'd like to see added:
>
> - Currently, pressing button 1 in the arrow at the bottom of a
>   vertical scrollbar scrolls down.  I'd like to see this extended so
>   that pressing button 2 scrolls up.  This would allow a window to be
>   scrolled up and down without having to move the cursor from one end
>   of the scrollbar to the other.  Similarly for the top, left, and
>   right scrollbar arrows.

 I suggest to move in opposite direction only if some modifier key is pressed
(with the step size the same as without modifier key).

> - Currently, dragging the slider in a vertical scrollbar with button 1
>   scrolls vertically.  I'd like to see this extended so that dragging
>   the slider in a scrollbar of either orientation with button 2 would
>   effect the position of both scrollbars, allowing a window to be
>   scrolled vertically and horizontally with a single mouse motion.

 That's also nice. IMO GtkScrolledWindow should do this, not GtkScrollbar.
 And IMO the extension to the logic could be even more useful: ctrl-drag (in
 any direction) inside scrolled window just moves the content as if
 scrollbars were pressed simulatenously (i.e. there is no need to position on
 the scrollbar 0 jsu inside scrolled window). It seems trying to handle this
 in signal connected with gtk_signal_connect_after will do the trick easily.

> Since these are both extensions to the way things currently operate,
> the user confusion factor of these changes should be minimal.
>
> > Sorry, I don't have time to dig in the gtk sources and understand it
> > to make a correct patch.
>
> I could probably find the time to make these changes if I had some
> assurance that they could eventually make their way into the mainline
> code.

 I hope Owen will comment on this.

> -- John Kodis.

 Best regards,