Re: C/C++-applications as objects in gtk?

Here comes the fun part.  C/C++ is compiled, not interpreted.  In (for example) Python, functions (and thus programs) are objects and can be manipulated as such -- passed to other functions, assigned to a local name (aka variable), etc.  If you want to treat a compiled (C/C++) app as an object, I think you would need to use CORBA.  This would entail writing an IDL file describing the object (app) and then a corresponding CORBA service implementation.

If you just want to interact with another process, you could use some system calls to open a pipe to the app and interact with it that way.

If you know what the api of the app is, you could write some C/C++ code that uses the api and just link against the binary.  This may be impossible if the app is proprietary.

To simulate pressing the enter key while communicating with a CLI app through a pipe, simply write the newline character to the pipe ( '\n' ).

-D