Socket Connection

I am using Solaris 8 and the Solaris Free Ware version of gcc, gtk, and glib.

I am using gtk to add xwindowing capabilities to our application (message switching).

I connect the application to the xwindows programs via sockets.

The application starts from the command line in a dtterm window.

Once started, it the application forks and executes the initial gtk program and then creates a socket.

The gtk xwindows program then connects to the socket established by the application.

In general this works great.

However, if I use a command line argument when starting the application, the gtk xwindows program can connect and read the socket, but cannot write to the socket.  It always gets a SIGPIPE error when it tries.  I am confused and baffled why a single command line argument could cause this.

I have also tried this under SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 with an older version of gtk, gcc, and glib, and this particular problem does not occur.

Is this an OS problem?  A Linking problem?

Thanks

Tcarter