[gtk-list redhat com]: Install problems

Hey all,

Having a problem installing gtk+ 1.2.7
Here is what the error log says:

> configure:5337: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> conftest.c -lICE    1>&5
> /usr/i386-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lICE: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 5326 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
> /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
>     builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
> char IceConnectionNumber();
>
> int main() {
> IceConnectionNumber()
> ; return 0; }
> configure:5381: checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11
> configure:5400: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall  -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lX11    1>&5
> /usr/i386-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lX11: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 5389 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
> /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
>     builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
> char XOpenDisplay();
>
> int main() {
> XOpenDisplay()
> ; return 0; }

Can anyone decipher this for me? Is -lX11 supposed to point to an
actuall file?
Any help would be great! (I've been wrestling with glib and gtk+ all
morning)

--
Christopher M. Seavey

"Regardless of whether patents in general are good or bad,
it's clear to almost anyone involved in the computer field
that broad, business-process patents, which amount to the
patenting of fundamental ideas rather than of any real
invention, is bad." --Tim O'Reilly