Re: [gtk-list] RE: GTK+ on SunOS 4.1.4?

On Wed, 03 May 2000 19:14:37 EDT, "Dugas, Alan" <alan.dugas@analog.com>  said:
> Just in case somebody's taken an interest in my problem compiling GTK+ on SunOS
> 4.1.4...
>
> I've traced my problems to an X11 header file: Xlib.h.  It appears that the
> SunOS version is dated 1991 and the Solaris version is 1997.  The absent in the
> 1991 version but present in 1997 version are typedefs for both XIM and XFontSet,
> which are causing my problems.  However, comments grepped from file
> gtk+-1.2.7/configure explicitly mention SunOS 4.1.4 and even 4.1.1!  This leads
> me to think that there is something (a configuration switch maybe?) that I am
> missing in order to compile GTK+ under SunOS 4.1.4.  Any thoughts or comments on

OK.. this is "dim dark past" in my career, but I seem to remember that
early SunOS systems (4.0, 4.1) shipped with X11R3 or X11R4.  XIM (the
X Input Method) stuff certainly post-dates that, as does XFontSet (which
is part of the I18N stuff done in X11R5, I believe).  I'm willing to bet
that if you've ever gotten *ANY* X program to build, you're at X11R4 (as R3
was different "on the wire").

The reason 'configure' checks for SunOS 4.1.x is because it *IS*
possible to take the MIT or x.org X11R5 or X11R6 distribution and
build it on SunOS 4.  The sample XSun server even supports some
of the more common cfb cards from that era.  Since the on-the-wire
protocols for X11R4 through X11R6 are the same, it's even possible
to just build the X11R6 user-land stuff (libraries, programs, and
include files) and run against a Sun-supplied X11R4 server (as long as the
program doesn't require an X Extension that isn't in the server).

Solution?  Get up to X11R5/R6, either by building the X tree yourself
(which is lengthy, and takes a lot of disk, but is NOT very hard
if you carefully follow the cookbook provided), or upgrading to
a Sun or Linux operating system that comes with a suitable X....

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech