Re: [gtk-list] gtk or Xhost problem with linuxconf

Xwindows has some basic  security in xhost (try man xhost).  To access
the Xserver you need to be allowed via xhost.  Try typing 'xhost<enter>'
at the command prompt.  I get the following:

*[mcordes mcordes]$ xhost
*access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
*LOCAL:

Notice, mine says ALL local connections are allowed.  If you don't have
something like this only the user that started X will have the right to
access it, thus if you su'ed to root and tried to run an X app you'd get a
message about XLib refusing your connection ( as you listed below ).
If your root user started the server either by typing 'startx' or via xdm
you would only see this message if you su'ed to a non-root user.  the
easiest fix is in your X startup file (either .Xclients, .xinitrc, .xsession,
etc) in your home directory add 'xhost local:' this will allow all local
user to access your machine whenever that user starts X.  If you want to
do something more exotic read the xhost manpage.

The reason that when you su to root and try to add allowed clients with
xhost is that the root user is not allowed to access X ( assuming you
started it as some other user).  I'm a little surprised by this though,
I thought RedHat came by default configured to allow all local connections
in the one of X's startup scripts, but I don't use RedHat so I couldn't
tell you for sure.

Just so you know this really isn't an appropriate place for such a question
and I'm a pleasantly surprised no one has told you so in a less friendly way
as of yet.

-matt