Re: Russian keyboard and arrows

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Ron Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently received an e-mail from someone that is using some software
> that I have written.  This person is complaining about the arrow keys
> not doing anything in the program.  I am not able to reproduce this
> problem.  However, I am using a U.S. keyboard layout and the person is
> probably using some other keyboard mapping, being from Russia.  Is this
> a possibility?  Is there something I can do to fix this?  Any help would
> be appreciated.

 Hi, I'm from Russia (though I haven't configured my X Windows for cyrillic
input yet).  The most common cause of such problems is when in key_press_event
signal handler the exact value of GdkEventKey->state is examined, like

 ((*GdkEventKey)e)->state == GDK_MOD1_MASK )
instead of testing whether the corresponging bit is set, like in
 ((*GdkEventKey)e)->state & GDK_MOD1_MASK )
or even better
 ((*GdkEventKey)e)->state & GDK_MOD1_MASK ) == GDK_MOD1_MASK

 If your code uses the first variant of the code, it won't work as expected if
any other modifier is pressed - so I suggest you to test you program with
Numlock and/or Capslock pressed. Porbably when current input language is set
to russian some bit in ((*GdkEventKey)e)->state) is set - so your program
won't work if you used 1st variant of the code.

 You can contact me privately for more information if you wish.