Re: [eduard epi t-online de (Peter Bornemann)] Re: gawk 3.0.4 does not work for gtk+-1.2.8

Karl Eichwalder <ke@suse.de> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:
>
> |   Maybe one of you wants to take a look at this. I can't reproduce this
> |   with gawk-3.0.4 compiled from source.
>
> Most probably it's locale related.  I gnome-libs/libgnomeui/Makefile.am
> I added lately some statements like this:
>
>     LC_COLLATE=C $(AWK) ...
>
> Background: On SuSE Linux regular accounts have "proper" locales but not
> root.  Calling make as root should solve the "problem" or try something
> like

Do you ship a patched version of awk? I generally run with LC_ALL=en_US,
and with that, or with LC_ALL=de_DE, things still work fine with awk-3.0.4
compiled directly from the source tarball.

We can certainly do the LC_COLLATE=C thing in the makefile if that helps,
but I'd like to know a bit better what is going on.

>     export LANG=C
>     make
>
> Unfortunately, from inside AWK scripts it isn't possible to reset locale
> settings.  But I'm told in general it should work better to say
> [[:lower:]] instead of [a-z] or something.  An expert has to dig deeper.

Hmmm .... [[::lower::] would not have the same meening in this script
since we don't want to allow ü or whatever in our variables...

Regards,
                                        Owen