tab order and restricting entry widgets

Is there an easy method to change the focus order when you tab through
entry widgets.  I've got a bunch of entry and combo widgets in a table
and I want the tab key to go down the column first rather than across
the row.  I guess I could use the leave_notify signal for each widget,
but that would be a pain.

Is there a way to restrict entry widgets to only numeric (and
only dates would be great also)?

I skimmed the online documentation and grep'ed .h files, but couldn't
find anything.  I also tried to search the list archives, but couldn't
find a search function for the archives (other than loading each month
into Netscape and using Netscape's find) - am I missing it?

Thanks,
Dave