Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkWiW update...need some gdk help too.

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Chris Phelps wrote:
>
> > Ive been working like mad for a couple of hours now. I havent made the base WiW
> > widget yet, but that shouldnt take all that long, as the WiW child is the really
> > important part. At the moment, things are looking pretty spiffy, but I have run
> > into a small problem with the drawing of the widget. Since it is based on a
> > GtkVBox, which is transparent, i have to write the code to put the background
> > color and such behind the WiW Child widget, as well as add a border etc. I have
> > this done fairly well with a single sub window, but when sub windows overlap,
> > the sub window on the top doesnt draw over the other widgets that are inside the
> > sub window that it is overlapping. Ive looked at some code for the gtkbutton and
> > other, and havent been able to discern a reason for this.
>
> I don't understand why you dropped the idea of using gtkframe for the
> subwindows. It has it's own window and you can select the border style.
> You can pack a gtkhbox on the top with the bar and buttons. I don't know
> what results you'll get withthis approcah regarding to your drawing
> problem, but it's much easier than using a vbox as the parent class.
> Regards,
> <ADRIAN>

I dumped the box sometime late last night and picked up a GtkBin...I worked for about
4 hours on that, but could never get it to display properly (I was using custom
realize, map and unmap functions), so I went back to the frame, which works quite
sell. Im acually doing all the drawing myself, so i can customise how the window
looks, but the frame does seem to be a good base widget. Im still having the problem
with the background showing up behind other widgets...I'm going to try some stuff
with raising the gdk window and stuff when i get home from class & track practice.

Thanks for all the help,
Chicane