Re: [gtk-list] gtk 1.2.6 prob

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 06:17:03 -0500, Bruce Lee wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to install gtk1.2.6 and it keeps telling me that I need glib
> 1.2.6. Says my current version is 1.2.1 even though I went and got 1.2.6 and
> installed it
> without any errors. Running gtk1.2.6 the 2nd time, it still says I need to
> upgrade to 1.2.6...how do I solve this? I dont know how to check the
> current version of my glib or where it should be. So I dont know if the

"glib-config --cflags --libs" shows where glib is installed.

> program is making an error or if I"m doing something wrong...could you help
> me solve this as easily as possible? Thanks. Easiest way to fix this says is
> to remove the old glib...but how do I do that? do I rm -r
> /usr/local/lib/glib maybe? Here's my ld.so.conf:
>
> /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib

Still an a.out compatibility directory? Quite an old distribution.

> /usr/lib
> /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
> /usr/X11R6/lib

If you're using a Redhat RPM based Linux distribution, use rpm to remove
the older glib and gtk (see the RPM manpage). Than download the latest
gtk+glib 1.2.6 rpms and install those. For a Debian based distribution,
use dpkg, dselect or apt-get, and install the latest glib+gtk 1.2.6 debs.

If you installed glib 1.2.1 yourself from a tar file, the easiest way is
to use "make uninstall" in the glib 1.2.1 source directory. After that,
add "/usr/local/lib" to /etc/ld.conf.so, run ldconfig, and configure and
install glib and gtk.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl