Re: [gtk-list] Re: return of the MDI

[...]
>> * Is someway clearer in word processors, image editors, in general...
>
>I, and a lot of other people, don't think so.  This isn't to say it shouldn't
>be available, but rather to say that a lot of people aren't going to like
>using your program if you use it when it is available.

I find window-in-window MDI is exceptionally unclear. The usual thing that
happens with me under Windows is that I have either a full screen MDI session,
in which case I cannot see windows behind the parent window, which is
maddening; or I keep losing subwindows off the edge of the parent window. It
adds an extra layer of complexity. You'll end up with some windows which you
can move anywhere, and some windows that disappear behind some (not always
visible) boundary.

By all means support window-in-window MDI, but DO NOT ENFORCE USING IT. Always
leave the user the option to, at run time, select the MDI model it wants. I,
for example, would use multiple toplevels.

--
+- David Given ---------------McQ-+
|  Play: dgiven@iname.com         |
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+