[gtk-list] Re: return of the MDI

>By all means support window-in-window MDI, but DO NOT ENFORCE USING IT.
Always
>leave the user the option to, at run time, select the MDI model it
wants. I,
>for example, would use multiple toplevels.

I agree with this (and most of the arguments against WiW MDI), but I
was wondering how hard it would be to implement what Photoshop calls
pallettes. Little tool windows that float on top within the MDI. The way
I would love these things is to be "float on top" whenever a normal
window of the app is raised, and also be 'sticky' (visible on all
desktops).

Imagine GIMP for instance. When I have 2 images open, both on a
different desktop, I would want the Layers dialog (or any other tool I
have open within gimp) to be on each desktop. Now this is pretty easy to
do I guess with WM hints. But to be honest I would want those tool
windows to be present only on the desktops where I have images. Or (to
take it a but further) only be visible when an image has focus.

And what about raising them to always on top, or at least above other
windows on that desktop?

How easy would it be to implement a model like that?

            DocWilco