Re: [gtk-list] CList updates

Matt and Amy Gilbert wrote:

> I have a question about using a CList. I have a simple
> app that will receive a string from a socket and
> display it in a CList. It will also send data. I am
> using pthread's for receiving data. I know its over
> kill to use a seperate thread for this but I am just
> trying to familiarize myself with some of the tools.
>
> The problem I am having is that whenever I use
> gtk_clist_append I have to press a key or move the
> mouse in and out of the window in order for this
> change to be displayed. Do I need to force the
> redisplay of the CList and if so how do I do that.
>
> I have tried using gdk_init_thread and surrounding
> gtk_main with gdk_thread_enter and gdk_thread_leave.
> However, this just hung my app.

I have tried this kind of thing in the past and have come to the
conclusion that the thread support in GTK is not quite there yet. This
seems to be especially true with things in scrolled windows. If anyone
can correct me then I'd *really* like to know.

Anyway, I've given up doing this sort of thing. Instead I use
gdk_input_add() so that the socket reads can take place in the gdk/gtk
event loop.

Cheers, Matt.

--
Matt Goodall             |  Isotek Electronics Ltd
email: mgg@isotek.co.uk  |  Claro House, Servia Road