Re: [gtk-list] Re: Installation GTK+ in Sun Sparc

Joachim Backes wrote:

> can't agree with you!! If I try to compile some gtk+ applications with
> the IRIX cc compiler (IRIX 6.5.6), than problems arise with
> /usr/local/include/glib.h, so that the most sources can't be compiled.
> Only with gcc, compilation runs.
>
> I think therefore, /usr/local/include/glib.h (for example) is not written
> in full compatible C!

I don't have access to IRIX system these days, so I can't check things
there. However, some of glib include files are autogenerated and depend
on compiler. If you compile glib with gcc, chances are that you won't
be able to compile GTK+ applications with other compilers.

On Solaris, if one compiles glib with Sun's C compiler, then GTK+ apps
can be compiled with both gcc and cc. I cannot try with other compilers
that run on Solaris because I don't have them, but I expect that there
wouldn't be problems, except with autoconf (because most apps have
autoconf based configuration), but that's not glib problem.

If I was making binary package release for Solaris, I would make some
changes to $prefix/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h by hand (and maybe
to glib-config, as well), but even with the defaults one gets from autoconf,
everything is OK most of the time.

If I was making binary package release of GTK+, I'd have to link libraries
by hand, since libtool doesn't do it correctly, but again, things work
most of the time.

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.