A question about the GTK tree widget

Hi

How do I convince a gtk_tree object to display a + before the item name,
even though no items have been added to the tree.  I am busy writing a
specialized directory browser and I only want to show the first level of
directories or files on the disk in the tree.  If I can convince the tree /
subtree objects to show a +, that particular subdirectory can be populated
with another level when the user attempts to expand the node.

Any ideas?

Piet Obermeyer
Red Hat, Inc.