Re: [gtk-list] RE: Icon window

> Dockable utilities are window manager specific, AFAIK.

No. There is such Xlib thing as an icon window. Window Maker just make use of
it.

>GNOME allows you to create applets for their panel, Window Maker has a special type of docking too (when are those guys dropping their own widget set and use GTK+ instead?).
>
> So, it's not a GTK+ feature at all, it depends on your window manager.

It's Xlib feature and I would like to know the Right Way to use it
in GTK application.

Well, if I program with Xlib I can write something like

Window mainWindow, myIconWindow;
Display dpy;
XWMHints *wm_hints;

wm_hints = XAllocWMHints();
wm_hints->flags = IconWindowHint | StateHint;
wm_hints->icon_window = myIconWindow;
wm_hints->initial_state = WithdrawnState;

XSetWMHints(dpy, mainWindow, wm_hints);

And mainWindow will be hidden; instead we will see myIconWindow -- and
*if I use WindowMaker* I have a possibility to dock it.

All I want to know -- how to make myIconWindow not X Window but GTK Window.

--
Alexey Vyskubov
(at home)