Re: [gtk-list] Re: [motif vs gtk]

Dean Johnson <dtj@sgi.com> writes:
> I, given my drothers, prefer Java Swing to Gtk, but that is largely
> due to my deviant inclinations towards things like C++.

Swing is probably the nicest toolkit around these days. The problem is
it only works with Java, and there's no free implementation. :-( Since
GTK+ was created for Gimp (a C program) to remove dependence on the
non-free Motif toolkit, historical accident meant that Swing would not
become the free software toolkit of choice. A bit sad, really.

I have to put it in the Amiga/NeXT/OS/2 category for now - I use Linux
because while it may not be nicer than those systems, at least it
isn't doomed. :-) Java is perhaps much better off since there are
multiple implementations and maybe even some free ones
eventually. Open source software doesn't die!

FWIW part of the standard procedure when writing new widgets these
days is to look at what Swing does I think. As it should be.

Havoc