Re: [gtk-list] Re: Resizing widgets with a mouse [OT]

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >Here's a simple example (and my specific one), a front end to a mud game.
> >This includes multiple text windows to which the user may direct various
> >messages, sized pixmaps (perhaps a body health diagram, a compass, etc),
> >menubar for controls and lots of popup windows to individual configs.  Each
> >user's character is unique in needs and, therefore, no common screen layout is
> >acceptable. Now I could place all these in seperate top level windows but I'm
> >stuck with whatever frames the user's theme allows, these waste valuable
> >desktop space.
>
> I think you are misunderstanding the X model of responsibility. You
> can ask the window manager to avoid any decoration for a given
> window. If it doesn't *thats not your problem*. It means that the user
> is either intentionally or unintentionally using a window manager that
> always puts decoration on all windows. Its not your job as an
> applications programmer to try to work around this. I don't know of
> any modern WM's that will not honor a request for no decoration. Most
> of them will even allow you the user to request this for specific
> windows as long as they have a unique name.
>
> Let me say it again: the decoration of windows is not a matter for the
> application, other than in requesting it not be done. If you've done
> that, you've done all you can do, and the rest comes down to
> recommending/helping/requiring the user to use a reasonable WM.
>
> By trying to use an MDI model, you circumvent everything the user
> already knows about moving/resizing/minimizing/maximizing windows. if
> your application puts up as many windows as you say, i might even
> prefer to split them across workspaces - how would your MDI model
> allow me, a user who knows how to do this, to accomplish this ?
>
> >I agree the symetical layout of widgets is much cleaner I also put forth there
> >are times when it is proper to allow the user to control the exact position
> >and size of their widgets.
>
> Use gtk_widget_set_usize(), prevent window resizing and place
> everything with a GtkFixed.
>
> --p
>
> --

You're making my case!  It's the user that wants to place the windows/widgets into
a very tight area with their own geometry.  The WM simply cannot do this and
shouldn't ... I agree!   Keep in mind that 'no decoration' translates to 'no
function' with regards to resizing and moving the windows, at least nothing as
simple as point and drag.  If we're saying that the user needs a different
WM depending on the app then we make the system overall unfriendly to the user...
this is, as we all know, the number one objections from those impaired by years of
MS.  And please, leave MDI out of it, MDI was mentioned by someone else, that's
not my goal.  The goal is to allow the user a workspace were they can place their
widgets to their liking be it right or wrong (you know much like the Unix
philosophy of allowing you to do whatever you wish while programming be it right
or wrong!).
begin:vcard
n:Campbell;Steven M
tel;pager:8108708367@alphapage.airtouch.com
tel;fax:(248) 299-4830
tel;work:(248) 371-3324
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.sequoianet.com
org:Sequoia Diversified
adr:;;107 South Squirrel Road;Auburn Hills;MI;48326;
version:2.1
email;internet:SCampbell@SequoiaNet.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;-9024
fn:Steven M Campbell