Re: [gtk-list] Re: [ron microtronics com au (Ron)] gtk1.2.7 can break apps written for 1.2.6

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:
> > previous versions..  At the very least, the prototype for
> > gdk_gc_set_dashes has changed in a way that could break existing
> > apps (it breaks compilation of wxGTK)
>
> Whoops, sorry about my previous mail. :-) Kick me.
>
> The prototype changed from "gchar" to "gint8" - this can't break a C
> program as far as I know, because gint8 is just a typedef for
> gchar. Can someone post the code which broke?

gint8 is a typedef for something which depends on the environment. In my
case it's typedef for signed char, while gchar is typedef for char. Even
in C, char and signed char are distinct types, so compilers will not grok
the mix in function prototypes (some might, though).

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.