Pixmap Theme

Hello.

I am coauthor of the file manager Gentoo (http://www.obsession.se/gentoo/)
which is based on GTK+.
We have got quite a few bug reports from people using the pixmap engine.
The problem is that we rely on the background color in the GtkStyle to indicate
the
current source directory, and the pixmap theme overrides the background color.
The file manager also has a large box of buttons, for all the file actions.
There are quite a few of them, and to make it easier for the user we allow
the user to change the color of them so that they can be in groups.
Because of the number of buttons, it is not feasible to simply name the buttons
for theming.

We change the background color by copying the style and change the color in the
copy.
GTK notices this (somehow) and realizes the new colors in the new style.
We have not found any other way to change the style's color.

Therefore, I suggest that the pixmap theme, its theme_realize_style() function
compares the color in the style and the color in the rc_style. If they do not
match then the background of widgets who use the style should somehow
be different than the original. The best way would perhaps be to remap the
pixmap
somehow with the difference of the rc_style color and the style color.

Another solution would be to add a functions to GTK that would modify the
GtkStyle
directly and call functions in the theme if needed.
Example:

gtk_style_colorize (GtkStyle *Style,
		    GtkColorIndex color_index,
		    GtkStateType state_type,