Best Configuration?

Hello Gtk Gurus,

    I have to write a program to support my dissertation on the topic of network
survivability
within the  next 4 weeks called Survivanet.

    Given this time constraint and the fact that I have written a lot of C++
console apps
which will become modules of the larger work and that I would like to make it
freely
available to the linux communitee when it is finished,  what, if any, would
be your recommendations for setting up the environement?

Specifically, what libraries, what compilation tools, what helper apps would I
need that
would ensure a reliable, hassle-free production environment? Any comments
appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance,

George Deprez

p.s.
My initial work environment currently is made up of the following:
1) Linux version 2.2.12-20smp (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
(egcs-1.1.2 release))
2) Gnome Glade 0.5.3
3) gtk+-devel 1.2.6-1
4) libglade-devel 0.7-1
5) gtk+ 1.2.6-1
6) gtk+10   1.0.6-6
7) gtk-engines 0.9.1
8) libc 5.3.12-31
9) libtool 1.3.3-1
10) make 3.77-6
11) gimp-libgimp 1.0.4-5
12) glib 1.2.6-2
13) glib10 1.0.6-6
14) glibc 2.1.2-11
As I am not an expert in any of this, please be liberal in your explanations,
comments, and suggestions about the above. Thanks again. Have a nice day!!!