GtkPerl Tree question...

Hi All,
    I am running the following code (taken from the test.pl file)
and  I cannot see a difference between these 2 settings.  I was expecting
that if "item" is chosen than the child widget of the tree item is
highlighted, but it still looks as though the whole item is being selected.
What should the differences be?  If this fully implemented?  Am I doing
something wrong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    if ($mode)
     {
      $gtk_tree->set_view_mode('item');
     }