gtk apps without focus

Hi:

I am using a window manager that leaves
the focus with a window as long as
mouse does not move over another window that uses
keyboard input. (sloppy focus in fvwm2)

For example, if I move the mouse from my emacs
window over the xclock window, my keyboard events
still go to the emacs window.
I noticed that with gtk applications I always lose
the focus, even if the application does not need
any keyboard input.

I tried the very radical

   window.unset_flags(gtk.CAN_FOCUS)
   window.set_events(0)

on the top level window of a gtk application but
it still graps the focus.

How can I turn focus grabbing off?

To motivate this: imagine a little gtk app
emulating a keyboard, showing a button
for each keyboard key.
If you click a button the application would
generate a keyboard event which would be
consumed by the application currently holding the
focus. This  does not work very well, if the
keyboard emulator itself owns the focus.

Robert