Refreshing the background image.

Hi,
	I have already posted this question one day before. I did not get
any answer, please help me with this.
	I am writing a small test program which draws a pixmap on the root
window of the desktop and moves it ( something like a little animation ).
Now the problem is, when I draw the image and move it, it leaves marks on
the previous position where it is drawn and it doesnot get updated.
	Here I think double buffering doesnot help. So I am drawing on to
the root window directly and updating the previously drawn area with a
copy of the original background. But this is not working.Can any one help
me by saying how to refresh the desktop after drawing a pixmap.

thank you in anticipation,
bye
pavan