Help about GDK Graphic Contexts

This is the first time I write in a mailing list.

I'm writing my thesis (engeneering) and I am to write a program where i have to draw

almost 340000 colored rectangles in my screen( I have to design a radar map ) and I don't undestan _how to obtain a graphic context_ for drawing instructions to draw in a drawingarea.

I read many things about but every try to use

gdk_gc_new_with_values()

or to use

gdk_gc_new() and then change the foreground color

to obtain a custom paillette crashed.

I tryed to ure the canvas but the refresh is very slow (crash ).

Is there somebody may help me?

Sorry for my english...

Thank You

Lorenzo Cutilli