Real double-buffering

I'm new to GTK+.

I'm using the following:

gtk+-1.2.8-1
gtk+-devel-1.2.8-1
gcc-2.95.2
kernel-linux-2.2.16.SuSE

I need to display animated 24-bit data to a ViewPort.  I'm using
GdkRGB for speed.  When I run my application and click a button in the
viewport, the image changes quickly.  However, it is painted in
chunks, starting at the upper-left of the window and finishing at the
lower-right of the window.  Although the data copies quickly enough
for my purposes, the window contents do not change instantly.  I want
to be able to double-buffer.  By this I mean swapping buffers (usually
this reduces to a pointer swap), not copying a large quantity of data.
Is this possible with Gdk?

-Robert Dick-