Re: Memory alloc problems?

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:19:21 MDT, Jeff Shipman <shippy@cs.nmt.edu>  said:
> Ok, I'm not sure how GTK-related this question is, but
> I'm having some troubles with my program on computers
> other than my own. It works great when running on my
> machine, but when I compile and run it other machines,
> it likes to die. On one machine, it likes to hang just

This sounds like a version mismatch - your program was
built against one level of the kernel/shared libs/etc, but
the other machines are different in some way, causing a failure.

This can be incredibly subtle - I once spent 3 80 hour weeks tracking
down a *very* odd memory corruption problem.  It worked on the old box,
but would fail after 6 million calls to malloc() on the new one.
Turned out the *real* problem was an overrun back around call 3 million
or so.  Only reason it had the problem on the new system was that the
malloc() area was laid out differently, so the offending memory was at
a different place, and thus it smashed something different when it did
the overrun.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech