Re: [gtk-list] GTK+ on AIX dumps core

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:34:07 EDT, Bill Hayden <billh@mmrd.com>  said:
> I am seeking to compile and use GTK+ 1.2.7 on AIX 4.3.2.  I now have it
> compiling after setting the necessary configure options, but the gtk test
> suite programs (all of them!) core dump immediately with a segmentation
> fault. Glib compiles and its test suites all run successfully.  This core
> dumping in GTK+ occurs whether I compile with gcc or aix's cc.  Anyone have
> any ideas?  Or anyone have a working, compiled GTK+ 1.2.6 or 1.2.7 for AIX?

AIX implements .so format shared libraries just a LITTLE bit weird.

1.2.7 works OK under AIX 4.3.3.  It *should* work OK under 4.3.2 *if*
you have done the following:

1) Fix libtool to pass '-brtl' when building the .so.  You'll also have to
pass -brtl when linking your main program.

2) Even *with* -brtl, runtime-loadable libraries are broken unless you
install bos.rte.bind_commands 4.3.2.4 or later:

---
APARTXT IX89428 = (AIXV43 only) Runtime linker may incorrectly fail a load
 Applications using runtime linkin may not complete relocation,
 producing illegal instruction or segmentation fault failures.
---

You should also be able to make it work by convincing libtool to only use
.a format libraries, but I've not tried that personally.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst