Re: [gtk-list] gtk_list / gtk_clist selection mode combination

Martin Kestel <mka@mppmu.mpg.de> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I want the user to be able to select in a list in the form of the following
> pattern:
>
> Listentries    Selected(X)
>
> item
> item             X
> item             X
> item             X
> item             X
> item
> item             X
> item             X
> item             X
> item
> item             X
>  ...and so on.
>
> Right now its a GtkList, I will change it to a GtkCList in the future, but
> that shouldn't matter, right?
> I wonder whether I can combine the (GtkSelectionMode)MODE within the call to
>
> void gtk_list_set_selection_mode (GtkList *LIST, GtkSelectionMode MODE)
>
> (similar for a GtkCList)
> in order to achieve this.
>
> >From gtkenums.h:
> /* list selection modes */
> typedef enum
> {
>   GTK_SELECTION_SINGLE,
>   GTK_SELECTION_BROWSE,
>   GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE,
>   GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED
> } GtkSelectionMode;
>

> Bitwise OR / XOR / AND did not work. Earlier I tried subsequent calls with
> GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE and thereafter GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED.

No, you can't combine them. This is a enumeration, not a set of flags.

But, why would you want to? GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE and GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED
both allow the user to do exactly the same thing - select 0 or more rows of
the CList - they just present different user interfaces for doing so.

(The existance of both is mistake, BTW. The only result is going to be
 confusion for the user.

 GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE should basically never be used. If the user needs
 to be able to toggle rows of a list on and off easily, then there
 should be a different interface that makes it clear to the user that
 the behavior is different.

 For example, a column which is a check that the user can click on to
 toggle. This is a bit hard, though not impossible, to implement currently
 with the CList.)

Regards,
                                        Owen