GTK+ on AIX dumps core

I am seeking to compile and use GTK+ 1.2.7 on AIX 4.3.2.  I now have it
compiling after setting the necessary configure options, but the gtk test
suite programs (all of them!) core dump immediately with a segmentation
fault. Glib compiles and its test suites all run successfully.  This core
dumping in GTK+ occurs whether I compile with gcc or aix's cc.  Anyone have
any ideas?  Or anyone have a working, compiled GTK+ 1.2.6 or 1.2.7 for AIX?

Thanks,
Bill Hayden

p.s. yes, I know there is a precomilied GTK+ for AIX on ftp.gtk.org, but it
is version 1.2.2.  For my programs I'm going to need version 1.2.6 or
newer.