Re: [gtk-list] Re: How to redirect Alt-F4 to hide instead of destroy.

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:06:18 +0200, Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl>  said:
> > On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:14:06 +0200, Wolfgang Glas wrote:
> > > Unfortunately I don't know how to cinfigure my window manager. Can I just
> > > reconfigure the Window manager menu for one single window by some gdk/gtk call?
> > You can't reconfigure a window manager menu with a single GTK call because
> > window manager configuration is not standard.
>
> A case could be made that a normal client program *should not* be able to
> reconfigure the window manager.  At best, it should be allowed to ask nicely
> that the WM take an action on its behalf (which is where 'window manager hints'
> come into play).  It is also *permitted* but not *required* that the WM have
> other interactions with the clients (for instance, GNOME-compliant WM's do
> more than just what the ICCCM states).  However, utilizing these hooks would
> require the GNOME libs, not just GTK, and you'd still have to either state
> that the program *required* a GNOME environment, or code some fallback if
> GNOME isn't there at either compile or run time.
>
> It's a bit off the list topic, but what window manager is Wolfgang using?
> Perhaps somebody can hand him a clue on how to set it up....
> --
>                                 Valdis Kletnieks
>                                 Computer Systems Senior Engineer
>                                 Virginia Tech

I don't think the problem is that the window manager can 'destroy' a
single window of a multi-window application.

I would argue that in a multi-window app, destroying one of the windows should be
interpreted as the user wanting to terminate the entire application.