Re: [gtk-list] Re: How to redirect Alt-F4 to hide instead of destroy.

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:06:18 +0200, Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl>  said:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:14:06 +0200, Wolfgang Glas wrote:
> > Unfortunately I don't know how to cinfigure my window manager. Can I just
> > reconfigure the Window manager menu for one single window by some gdk/gtk call?
> You can't reconfigure a window manager menu with a single GTK call because
> window manager configuration is not standard.

A case could be made that a normal client program *should not* be able to
reconfigure the window manager.  At best, it should be allowed to ask nicely
that the WM take an action on its behalf (which is where 'window manager hints'
come into play).  It is also *permitted* but not *required* that the WM have
other interactions with the clients (for instance, GNOME-compliant WM's do
more than just what the ICCCM states).  However, utilizing these hooks would
require the GNOME libs, not just GTK, and you'd still have to either state
that the program *required* a GNOME environment, or code some fallback if
GNOME isn't there at either compile or run time.

It's a bit off the list topic, but what window manager is Wolfgang using?
Perhaps somebody can hand him a clue on how to set it up....
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

PGP signature