Re: [gtk-list] Re: Perl/Gtk CVS 19990920

Hi,

Paolo Molaro wrote:

> GtkClock doesn't have a "type" GtkArg, so it's impossible for the
> perl module to set the "type" arg of a GtkClock object.
> Just build the widget with:
>
> $clock = new Gtk::Clock('realtime');
>
> You cannot change the type later from perl because you cannot change
> it from C either (with the published interface, at least).
I was working from the C code that Damon's Glade produces. He obviously
uses some unpublished calls. I will just output a warning if the gnome-libs
are too old and advise upgrading. I guess that I shouldn't be trying to
work-around bugs in old versions in any case.

> I wonder how Gtk::Pixmap->set_build_insensitive('0') ever worked since
> it's not bound in any version of the module I know of (and also
> according to the cvs logs).
You can see why XS confuses me. I used to call the set_build_insensitive()
method via a Gtk::Pixmap without errors but I don't know that it actually
did anything useful.

> Here again "build_insensitive" is not an arg for Gtk::Pixmap.
>
> I think the args for the widget types are documented in the RDP
> manuals for gtk+: you may want to check them.
I will trust the documentation more and only expect what is documented in
future. I am still not used to having Perl/Gtk docs :-)

> There is another issue here anyway: the GtkPixmap api is broken
> when used in a OO language like perl, because it uses the same
> method name of a parent class (gtk_object_set()). In this case
> you may need to use something like:
>
> $pixmap->Gtk::Object::set("argname", $argval); # ugh!
OK, I will not use set() for anything but bug-checking.

Thanks again, regards Dermot