Re: [gtk-list] Re: Problems compiling in HP

Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:25:09 +0200, Wolfgang Glas wrote:
> >   On our SGI's with IRIX6.5 it turned out to be not a good idea to compile
> > glib/gtk with SGI's C compiler. The resulting gtk version only worked halfway
> > and I remeber, that there was some hacking necessary to get it to compile. So I
> > suggest to use gcc before you start brushing up the source too much. Pretending
> > on cc may result in a not fully functional gtk.
>
> What kind of compiler did you use? The SGI MipsPRO C compiler comes in
> three flavours: 32, n32 and 64. In my experience, the n32 and 64 compilers
> are better than the 32 compiler. I once succesfully compiled (and used it
> for GIMP) GTK < 1.0.0 version with the n32 compiler without any problems,
> while the 32 compiler did not like the code at all. I haven't tried
> compiling a newer GTK version with MipsPRO C, because I use gcc in my
> project anyway.

It was not me, but a colleague of mine. He certainly used MipsPRO without any
option, which means the n32 compiler. The runtime problems seemed to be not very
restricting, but i.e. he was unable to allocate a writeable color. Maybe this is
an X11 configuration error. Anyways, the safe way was to use gcc, which causes
no problem at all.

> But you are correct: using a decent C compiler like gcc certainly helps.

It is really true, that gcc is the only compiler with a reliable front-end. I
think this is the result of all the header-fixing stuff, that is performed when
you install gcc. Also warnings and error messages are meaningful, which is not
the standard as you might know.

  Wolfgang

--
Mag. Wolfgang Glas
Institut fuer hydraulische Stroemungsmaschinen

mailto:Wolfgang.Glas@hfm.tu-graz.ac.at
http://fhysmsg01.tu-graz.ac.at/Wolfgang.Glas/