Re: [gtk-list] Need to make a new text/icons widget

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I need to to make a new widget.  This widget should be able to contain
> text.  It should be able to show several fonts at once, as well as show
> "icons" (either simple rectangle "buttons" or shaped clickable icons)
> interspersed.  I am wondering where to start.  Should I check out the
> GtkText widget and see about adding the ability to place the icons, or
> should I start from somewhere else?

GtkText is almost certainly a horrible place to start. :-) If you want a
text-like widget you may want to wait for the new text widget in 1.4.
GtkText isn't very extensible.

If you can't wait, I'd say start from scratch, but you will want to know
how to write a widget first. My book might help:

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD

Havoc