Need to make a new text/icons widget

Hello.

I need to to make a new widget.  This widget should be able to contain
text.  It should be able to show several fonts at once, as well as show
"icons" (either simple rectangle "buttons" or shaped clickable icons)
interspersed.  I am wondering where to start.  Should I check out the
GtkText widget and see about adding the ability to place the icons, or
should I start from somewhere else?

Thanx,
b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX