Re: gtk/glib 1.2.5 causes kernel-panic

Hi Erik,

>On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:15:59 +0000 (GMT), Axel Braun wrote:
>> i downloaded and installed glib 1.2.5 and gtk+ 1.2.5.
>>
>> The installation was no problem, it ended without errors.
>> But, when I now try to start certain programs (e.g. YAST, the
>> configuration tool), the system stops with a kernel panic.
>
>I don't think these kernel panics are related to glib or gtk; it can
be
>just a coincidence that they show up after you installed GTK. Yast
doesn't
>use GTK, so it's almost impossible that GTK caused the problem.

I assume it is more glib 1.2.5

Anyway, it is very strange that right after the installation of
glib/gtk and the first time yast was called the system crashed.

>> Environment: Suse 6.1, Kernel 2.2.5, xfree 3.3.4, kde 1.1.1
>
>Pretty recent. What hardware?

ThinkPad 770 (233 P-I, 128MB, 5,1G HD, 14,1'' TFT)

>> What is the smartest way to get rid of glib and gtk again? I really
>> wouldn't fancy a new installation.........
>
>Depends how you installed it. If you used the RPMs, it's just a
matter of
>"rmp -e [package]"; If you compiled and installed it yourself, "make
>uninstall" from the source directories (first gtk, second glib) would
do
>the trick. However, I don't think that uninstalling GTK will solve
your
>problem.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, i'll try it and give you feedback after my
vacation:-)

>Things to look at:
>- You tuned your system over the limit. For example: your system's
DRAM
>  timings are too fast, or you overclocked your CPU. You can test your
>  system by compiling the Linux kernel: if gcc stops with a sig11, it
is
>  probably a hardware error, look at the sig11 FAQ at
>  http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ . "It works with Windows" is no
excuse:
>  Linux pushes your hardware much harder than Windows does.

I have several times compiled the kernel, that worked fine. Also OS/2
is pretty stable on this machine.

>- Try to isolate the problem. Does it always happen, or only if your
>  computer is running for several time (if so, it is a hardware error)?

No, also after the start, in textmode and with X11...just type 'yast'

>- Upgrade your kernel to the latest stable release (2.2.12 as I write
>  this) and check if the bug still occurs.

Yep, I already downloaded a 2.2.12 kernel, but the format (bz2) causes
some problems at the moment....have to try to find an unpacker

>- If it does, read the instructions in /usr/src/linux/README and
>  /usr/src/linux/REPORTING-BUGS. Report the error to the Linux kernel
>  mailinglist (linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu).

Ok, that will be the latest option.

BTW, the last tip was also very good: an X-development-package was
mising....

Cheers
Axel