Automatic Scrolling w/Scrolled Window

I have a GtkList that is attached to a scrolled window with
gtk_scrolled_window_add_with_viewport.  The GtkList contains messages that have
been sent/received from/to my application so it is updated continuously.  New
list items are added to the end of the list.  I would like to autmatically have
the scrollbars 'jump' to the bottoom whenever a new list item is added.
Basically mimic the behaviour of GtkText (I don't want to use GtkText,
though).  Does anyone know how to do this.  Everything I have tried does not
work.  I have tried:

1.  Using gtk_adjustment_set_value to change the adjustment
2.  Set the values by hand and sending the "changed" and "value_changed" signals
3.  Getting the adjustment, creating a new one, and setting the new adjustment

Thanks,
shannon