Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk look and feel

to gtk-list@redhat.com

leon@udmnet.ru wrote:

> John Sullivan wrote:
> >

> > On the Macintosh (at least), click-to-leave-menu-displayed was merged into the
> > existing hold-mouse-button-down-to-view-menu behavior in such a way that both
> > still work nicely and don't get in each other's way. There's no need for a
> > preference to switch between them. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be
> > done on Gnome equally well.
>
> Well, a good idea. The (dreaded :) Motif also has those two modes and
> switches them automagically. If you click and release mouse button
> on a menu, it is driven by explicit clicks, and if you click and
> drag mouse, submenus pop up on pointer rollover. (But still it
> hasn't timeots in the latter case :). So that automagical behavior
> is not new.
>
> Leon.
>
> --

I think that this automagical behavior is the one to follow. The only
thing to add
to this is allowing the user to set the timeout of the panels you define
on the
Desktop for its menues to pop up. Simply put a timeout slider on the
configuration
part of the panel. That should make everyone happy. But that is
something apart
from the window manager or from gtk, it only has to do with the desired
behaviour
you want to put inside gnome or kde panels.

Another eye-candy thing that could be added to panels is the ability to
pop up menues and submenues in the way Windows 98 does it. I mean that
panels could be configured to show up the menues either directly, either
with a little smooth scroll (that should be easier when GTK+-1.4 is out,
because efforts are being put on GTK for being more smooth). The
velocity of this scroll could be indicated in the configuration part of
the panel and the option to do scroll or not, obviously.
Again, I repeat, that in my opinion, these options have nothing to do
with GTK or the window manager. They are only related to the panels of
gnome or kde.

And letting my mind go beyond the purpouse of this mailing-list, I'm
thinking that could be a good idea to divide GNOME THEMES into TWO
THEMES:
* One is the GTK THEME, that is related only to how gtk draws things on
the screen (that the way it is now, I don't know exactly).
* Other is the BEHAVIOUR THEME (let's call it that way :-)), that is
related to how fast the panels show up or hide, the timeouts of panels,
if the movement of the windows is opaque or not, etc... This behaviour
theme could be a way to normalize the configuration of window managers
friendly to GNOME. I mean that it could be a resource file (.rc) like
gtk themes are.

So, when you configure Gnome themes, you are configuring the two themes
at the same time. More easy for users, I believe... That doesn't mean
that you can't modify the behaviour after you have set one theme. If
only a matter of going to one panel and changing the timeouts...

The good thing about this is that you could totally emulate MACOS or
BEOS behaviour through an unique theme.

Criticism is welcome...