Re: [gtk-list] Re: compiling glib

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:07:30 -0800, not representing his employer's opinions wrote:
> Have you been screwing around with your kernel sources lately, moving
> stuff around?  Because that's how I found out about these links --
> always check and make sure they exist after you've compiled a new kernel
> or moved things around.
>
> Also, if you compile your own compiler, it will force you to fix things
> first.  So you might want to take the more drastic step of installing
> gcc-2.95.2 (NOT .1 or .0) as well.

Hmm, I don't understand this one: I compiled gcc 2.95.2 on my machine at
home without any problem, the compiler was even useable after that.

In my opinion gcc 2.95.2 is the easiest gcc version to compile and
install, older gcc versions required much more attention and quick fixes
to compile, especially on non-linux systems. I compiled and installed gcc
2.95.2 on IRIX (5.3, 6.3, 6.5), ArmLinux and SunOS 4.1.3, but I only got
minor problems on SunOS 4.1.3 which comes with non-ANSI header files.
Cross compilers are also quite easy: I've build a complete i386 --> ARM
compiler toolchain running in under 4 hours.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl