autoconf woes

I am setting up my program to use automake/autoconf.  Instead of writing from scratch, I just copied it from another project that I
used it with.  I changed the following appropriately:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(gchat, 0.1)

Both automake and autoconf produce no errors.
When I run ./configure, I get the following:

./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
./configure: ./configure: line 524:    'AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(gchat, 0.1)'

How could this be if I copied the from a *working* and just changed the program-specific stuff.  If I cd to
the directory of the other project and run configure, it works just

Any ideas?

This message is powered by RedHat 6.1 and Perl
Visit my web site at

Current uptime:
 12:52pm  up 17:41,  0 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.22, 0.12